How To Appeal Parking Tickets
Parking tickets are never welcome so Parking Cupid has searched online to find the best guides on how to appeal, contest and dispute your car parking ticket or fine. Note that this information is of a general nature only and does not constitute legal advice.
Motorists have used excuses like incorrect registration details, illness, officer error, faulty meters, no offence and stolen number plates to beat parking tickets. Even when drivers admit fault, the tickets in some cases are withdrawn based on exceptional circumstances, which include mechanical breakdown and medical emergency.
One common way to dispute an infringement is in writing with an explanation or appeal letter including supporting evidence such as photos, mechanical repair receipts or medical certificates.
Guide to Appealing Parking Tickets
Many motorists pay questionable parking tickets instead of appealing them - dont be taken for a ride! The following information is a broad guide on how to appeal car parking tickets.
Firstly, understand why you were fined and what reasons you may have for appeal:
- Penalty notice - Does the offence regulation code match its title? Does the make and registration number match your vehicle?
- Parking signs - Are they visible from you were parked or were they covered by a tree or any structures?
- Road markings - Are the bay markings clear and visible?
- Lack of parking signs/markings - Are there signs or markings that should be there for the offence you were booked for (such as a “no stopping” sign that wasn’t there when you were fined for this offence)?
- Parking meters - Was the parking meter faulty? Was there a number on the meter or sign nearby with a number you could call to report the faulty meter?
- Parking tickets - Do you have your original tickets to show you did not stay too long in the space or that you did pay to park?
- Medical emergency or vehicle breakdown - Do you have evidence or witnesses to verify that circumstances caused you to commit the parking offence?
Next, gather as much evidence as you can in your defence and include it with your parking fine appeal letter. Also, be sure to act quickly before the payment due date as every reminder sent to you typically incurs further penalty fees.